Seeking Part Time, Contractor (Position open until filled)
The People’s Economy Lab seeks a passionate part time contractor to lead communications, network organizing and events to advance our mission is to connect and align visionary community-based leaders and build their capacity to reshape our local economy towards one that is just, sustainable and regenerative.
The People’s Economy Lab works to advance the transition to a restorative economy in Washington State by supporting the development of new economic systems that center and empower Black, Indigenous, and People of Color. We are:
- Led by and center the experiences of BIPOC
- Convene community leaders, workshop transformative ideas, and incubate new models
- Push the boundaries of what’s possible to create local, community-centered economies that are equitable, democratic, and regenerative.
We are looking for someone who can reliably support the People’s Economy Lab communication and organizing needs in a decentralized project-based team. This person will implement communications strategies, including drafting content and distributing content digitally.
Responsibilities may include:
- Draft and edit story content for People’s Economy Lab and associated projects, including identifying key message aligned with our communications strategy, support others in drafting content and through editing
- Create and oversee an editorial calendar
- Organize community partners and participants to contribute to communications, such as participating in events, written posts or contributing images, to participate in work groups, to participate in events
- Document and communicate lab activities and achievements on a monthly basis
- Manage our Hylo online networking community and support onboarding and maintenance
- Manage and implement curation and dissemination of digital content on media channels including social media, email distributions, earned media releases and pitches, etc.
- Maintain and update PEL website, managing technical contractors, including creating new pages as needed, ensuring content is current, identifying images, posting events etc.
- Manage network list and contact databases, including building and maintaining contact lists, segmenting lists with tags, creating listservs for work groups, etc.
- Support the preparation of presentations.
- Organize and attend team meetings, take notes and deliver meeting related communications
- Organize documents and data, and conduct research/summarize materials as needed
- Assist with outreach
- A deep commitment to racial equity and social justice, and strong alignment with PEL’s principles and values
- Demonstrated talent for writing, editing, and proofreading.
- Skill with digital technologies and communications platforms, like email services, website builders, etc.
- A minimum of two years of experience (paid or unpaid) in a combination of the following areas:
- Strategic communications
- Digital communications/organizing
- Media relations
- Grassroots organizing and leadership development
- Training and public relations
- Alignment with the Just Transition framework, solidarity economy practices, and deep systemic change
- Experience developing and implementing communications strategies and assessing impact of communications activities.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to multi-task and ability to follow projects through to completion
- Strong communication skills both professional and interpersonal
- Strong relationship skills, strong respect and commitment to learning about others
- Strong sense of service to community, humility and recognition of our role as facilitators rather than lead actors
Time Commitment & Compensation:
- $2,000 to $2,500 per month to get started, pending additional project scope and funding that will allow more depth and breadth of work, we estimate 10 to 12 hours a week during normal business hours
- Start date is ASAP but we hope to find a candidate who would be a good fit on an ongoing basis.
To apply contact: Send a resume, previous comms/marketing materials you have worked on, a brief introduction to yourself and your interest in the work to: firstname.lastname@example.org